Helping NQTs gain the best opportunity to successfully complete their induction period
This SLA runs on an Academic Year.
The aim of the Bexley NQT Induction Service is to give our NQTs the best opportunity to successfully complete their induction period. The London Borough of Bexley will act as the Appropriate Body for Induction of Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs). The Appropriate Body, along with the headteacher/principal is jointly responsible for the supervision and professional development of the NQT during induction and has the main quality assurance role.
Statutory Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) Induction is the bridge between initial teacher training and a career in teaching. It combines a personalised programme of development, support and professional dialogue, with monitoring and an assessment of performance against the relevant standards. Successful completion of the induction period leads to a teacher securing full registration to teach in maintained schools and non-maintained special schools. An NQT who has completed induction and failed to meet the relevant standards (although they may appeal against the decision) cannot be employed lawfully as a teacher in those schools.
The Service includes:
- Carrying out the statutory responsibilities of the Appropriate Body detailed in the Statutory Guidance on Induction for NQTs in England
- Providing advice and support on the induction process
- Quality assurance monitoring
- Assisting individual schools with visits, guidance and support to enable the satisfactory completion of the induction process for their NQTs
- Providing a named contact and pastoral support for NQTs during this important stage of their career
- Delivering training for induction coordinators and tutors
- NQT welcome days, networking meetings and celebration event
- Developing strategies and resources to assist induction